UK Staking Forum
Claim your massive Genting Poker sign-up bonus here!

Directory Live Scores My Stakes Googlemap Arcade Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Poker Forum - Eat My Stack > Poker Topics > Poker Tips
FAQ Members List Award Calendar EMS Bookie Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock

Default Table selecting advice

When people table select what do they look for.
I play an agressive game so what would I look at to be a good table for me? All I look out 4 is how deep everyone is because I feelmore confident in my game if I'm sat with opponants who are 150BB+ deep,the deeper the better, is this good or bad?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock

I see people looking but no one is replying,come on every1 I need help with this.
Old 15-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pro

in genral you should list your tables in plyrs to flop % and look for tables with 30-45% combined with reasonable average pot size (should be a round 3-4$) i tend to look for a well spread tble but also like tables with to players on slightly less than the full bi as i can then assume they are nonautoreloading fish or weak tight non reloaders also i use the ptr thing occasionally....

im getting better slowly as i find more players with notes on them so i think you need to fgure out a start point and then stick to it for a while...

hope that helps
Old 15-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro

These days I just look for fast 50bbmin tables with a seat open or just start (or help start) a table up. Often now the good tables seem to have 4+ people on the wait list so I can't see much point in joining a wait list that long as any fish the wait list is based on will be long gone by the time I get there. Or maybe I have it wrong and I should be joining 15 people wait lists for a 6max game?
Old 15-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChairman View Post
These days I just look for fast 50bbmin tables with a seat open or just start (or help start) a table up. Often now the good tables seem to have 4+ people on the wait list so I can't see much point in joining a wait list that long as any fish the wait list is based on will be long gone by the time I get there. Or maybe I have it wrong and I should be joining 15 people wait lists for a 6max game?
The limit tables are really bad for huge waiting lists these days, I just start tables most of the time - your typical fish just wants to play so isn't going to sit on a waiting list, he'll just jump on a table with you, plus the megatabling breakeven grinders don't like playing 3/4 handed so they bypass your table just add themselves to waiting lists.
RatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock

Thanx 4 the help. Would you say then the bigger the % of players to flop would be the better tables to sit at+why? Sound thick I know but hey if it helps me out I don't mind asking those questions.
Old 15-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thanx 4 the help. Would you say then the bigger the % of players to flop would be the better tables to sit at+why? Sound thick I know but hey if it helps me out I don't mind asking those questions.
Usually (more loose players), but if there's a nutter/bad lag spewing at the table the % per flop is going to be a lot lower obv but it could still be a good table. The HEM table scanner thing is pretty cool for finding fish as well.
RatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro

For standard table selecting, you'd look for tables with high % players to the flop and high average pots in the hopes of finding some fish.

Lobby statistics are never that useful though, and too easily skewed. On Stars, most of the tables with a high % of players to the flop are recently started tables where this stat is inflated by short-handed play. High avg pot tables are often just where 2 nits have got it in set over set in the last few hands. In short, the lobby stats are at best a rough guide.

The best way to table select on Stars (I can't speak for anywhere else) is to start tables. Fish don't join waiting lists. Apart from that, the best tactic is just to join tables, play them for a few orbits and leave if it isn't a good table. Rinse and repeat.

If you play a good LAG game, "reverse" table selction might actually work well for you. This is where you seek out tables of mass-tabling, nitty automatons who are too busy to table select and tear them a new one; most will be very slow to adjust, and when they do you can either tone it down and let them nit-spew or just find a new table.
Old 15-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock

The best way to table select on Stars (I can't speak for anywhere else) is to start tables. Fish don't join waiting lists.

Never really thought about that but it's not a bad idea. Cheers Lee, your advice has helped a lot.
Old 15-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reg
Pro

I think starting your own tables would be really good for you Adam. Your HU game will easily be good enough to look after you whilst waiting for the seats to fill and like others have said, you really increase your chances of sitting with a fish, or hopefully several fish.
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote